The Carlisle City Council agreed Tuesday to renew for one year its lease of the Hauk building it has been using while a new police and courts building is under construction.

Carlisle Mayor Ray Glover informed the council during the Tuesday night meeting of the demolition that has begun on the old city hall, police and court building.

He said with good weather, the building will be down within the next month. A team from the Arkansas Department of Correction Tucker Unit is handling the demolition in exchange for the salvageable building materials. The building site soon will house the new police and court building.

Although the construction of the new police and court building soon will be underway, the council voted unanimously to lease again for one year the Hauk building they are currently using as the police and court building. Glover said he was unsure the official completion date of the new building at this time.

“To give you a certain date, I have no idea,” he said.

The council was in agreement that the city more than likely would need to utilize the building for at least one year as construction of the Civic Center took nine months. The new lease of $7,800 per year will begin on July 1.

Glover said construction of the new stage in the city park continues.

Recently, the mayor has taken bids on the roof for the stage, electrical and concrete slab. Although the structure has already been erected, the council voted to approve the plans as modified by the parks committee. Mike Walker and Joe Cunningham met to review the plans prior to construction. They decided to reduce the size of the stage and agreed to remove additional steps to reduce the cost of the structure. Ann Anderson, Walker, and Eddie Moore voted yes. Cunningham abstained from voting. Glover voted yes to pass the vote 4-0.

City Code Enforcer Robin Rountree and office Brent Doney came before the council during the meeting to discuss the next step enforcing city nuisance ordinance. Rountree presented the council with an ordinance from 2005, which was for the demolition of a home located at 871 McKinley Avenue. According to Rountree, the structure, which was found unsightly, unsafe and unsanitary by the city council still stands.

Councilman Eddie Moore said he believed the structure was “taken care of.” Moore said he believes the council did their part by passing the ordinance, but is unsure why the property was not demolished.

“Our last resort is tearing someone’s house down,” Glover said.

Before even being considered for demolition, a property goes through numerous processes to allow the owner time to clean the property themselves. Rountree said she has a list of at least two dozen people that she is preparing to turn over to the city judge.

Cunningham said he believes a fund needs to be set up and budgeted for to tear these buildings down. No action was taken by the council.

The Carlisle Municipal Airport is about to start phase two of its runway improvements to rehabilitate runway 18/36. The council voted unanimously to authorize Glover to sign the grant agreement and take whatever actions necessary to implement the grant. The grant is for $200,156.

In other business, the council voted to:

• To pay an invoice from the firm of Cobb and Suskie LTD of Little Rock in the amount of $5,875 for the audit of the city water and super department financials statements for the year ending in December 31.

• Remove Fever McElyea from all court accounts and add Beth Plafcan.

The council went into executive session at 8:05 p.m. to discuss personnel matters and came back into session at 8:10 p.m. No action was taken.

W.H. Kittler was absent from the meeting. The next city council meeting will be at 6 p.m. July 17.