With only a few days of practice, the Carlisle Bison basketball team was hoping to make a good showing in its season opener with Riverview on Monday at Bison Arena. That good showing led to a victory.

Carlisle’s Dathan Hill hit a three-pointer with 28 seconds left to give Carlisle a 59-58 lead as the Bison held on for a 63-61 win Tuesday night.

Riverview’s Rashard Bailey missed a long jumper following Hill’s triple. Austin Reed rebounded the miss then hit two free throws after being could with 14 seconds left.

Carlisle then took a foul with 8.3 seconds left and Riverview’s Kirklan Pettis hit two foul shots to cut the deficit to 61-60.

Carlisle’s Chris Hart was fouled with 4.4 seconds left and he hit two foul shots to make the score 63-60. The Bison took another foul with 2.6 seconds left. Riverview’s Desmond Pettis hit the first free throw and intentionally missed the second. Kirklan Pettis rebounded the miss and had a good look at a game-tying shot but came up short.

Carlisle coach William Rountree said he thought his team played tough, which was reminiscent of his first tenure as Bison coach.

"We played tough and we played well together," he said. "We’ll watch the film and find a lot of things to work on in practice the rest of the week as we get ready for Hazen.

"I think this basketball team has a chance to be a real good team. We’ve got good athletes. We’ve got some guys who are good basketball players in their younger years. We’ve got guys who have won in football and baseball. I just thought our guys played real well."

Hill led the Bison with 23 points. Hart and Austin Reed had 12 points each. Deron Ricks scored five. Chris Edwards and Justice Bryant had four points each. Braden Reed added three.

Desmond Pettis led the Raiders with 22 points. Bailey added 15.

The Raiders appeared to be heading toward a victory, leading 54-48 with 5:06 left. The Bison then scored six in a — two each by Edwards, Hart and Hill — to tie the game.

Riverview broke a 56-56 tie with 43 seconds left. That led to Hill’s go-ahead three.

Riverview 65, Lady Bison 37

Carlisle fell to 3-2 on the season with a 65-37 loss to Riverview on Monday.

Riverview led 16-5 late in the first quarter. The Lady Bison then scored seven in a row to pull to within 16-12.

They had a chance to get closer but missed a shot with 7:01 left in the first half. From there, the Lady Raiders scored 18 consecutive points to lead 34-12. They led 36-15 at halftime.

Faith Walker led Carlisle with 15 points. Presley Carter had nine. Callie Hillman had seven. Sloane Henderson had five.

Jessieville 54, Lady Bison 42

Jessieville pulled away from Carlisle in the second half to beat the Lady Bison in the first round of the Harmony Grove Tournament on Monday.

Carlisle led 15-10 after one quarter but trailed 27-26 at halftime.

Callie Hillman led Carlisle with 14 points. Breanna Young had 13. Faith Walker had 12. Sloane Henderson added three.

Riverview 29, Jr. Lady Bison 28

Riverview hit two free throws late to beat Carlisle 29-28 on Tuesday at Bison Arena.

Carlisle led 28-27 when Rachel Jones hit two free throws before Riverview took the lead.

Kayla Golleher and Molli Weems led Carlisle with eight points each. Jones had six. Peyton Hitchings had four. Star Tarter had two.

Riverview 52, Jr. Bison 17

Carlisle lost to Riverview 52-17 on Tuesday.

Riverview led 15-2 after one quarter and 31-9 at halftime.

Devon Kendrick and Riley Parker led Carlisle with four points each. Austin Wolfe had three. Dominic Castleberry, Brynden Weems and Drake Adams had two points each.